Monday, May 2, 2011

Les Miserables

My husband and I went to see Les Miserables the other night. It is an amazing show, and I still have the book by Victor Hugo on my shelf quietly calling to me to read; if only I could find the time. We were running late for the show, and of course it put me in one of my own miserable moods. I spent the money on a show, and the seats weren't where I thought they were, now we're running late and all of these negative things were all my fault. Miserable, miserable, miserable! Yet, here I was spending time with my husband and having the chance to go to a show I absolutely love, with music I love, in a gorgeous theater...yet all I could think about was how miserable I was. Depression does magical things, just not magical in the direction I want. (That would be an important note about magic, it is neither good nor bad, but it does reflect the energy you put into it).

At the show I was very much in tune with my miserable point of view, and I think this sort of helped. I really wanted to follow the story line, and I was also very focused on the stories of the characters and what made them miserable. The story shows how some people life seems to start miserable and ends much better, how some can start off as happy an end up miserable, and there are those who spend their whole life miserable because they are hiding from life and those who are chasing things that take over their life making them miserable. Compared to the stories of the characters, my life is not near as miserable as those in the story, and actually I am living the American Dream, that so many people came to this country to achieve. I have a family who truly loves me, we have "enough" money (and really money doesn't equate to happiness), and I have more education than anyone could really ask for, really it's just sprinkles on the sundae.

Watching Les Miserables did help put my life into perspective, and I hope I can start looking on the brighter side of life.

Blessings,
Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment