Monday, May 2, 2011

Joy and Death

Last night America surprisingly received the news that Osama Bin Laden was dead. This news met me with mixed emotions. Here I was happy that so many people are finally receiving some sort of closure for the horrible actions he masterminded (although there is some arguments suggesting he was not behind the terrorist attacks on 9/11). However, I cannot help but reflect on my own personal morals. Is death by another's hand ever really moral? Even considering the horrendous acts committed by his direction? This is in regard to official violence, which refers to the acceptance by society on violence directed by authority which is stated to have a benefit to society. Am I for or against this type of violence? It's hard to say, there are so many angles, it is not a clear cut dilemma. I do not like conflict, but I recognize it exists and I know it has to be addressed. I also know that we need to defend ourselves from the uncontrollable action of others, both personally and as a society.

One thing I do feel is that celebration upon a death is not right. I acknowledge the significance of the death of Osama Bin Laden, and I have announced it publicly, with a slight corner of my mouth turned up. However, along with my announcement I also directed to another important point, the war is not over. This statement means a lot of things to different people. It means there is still war. There is still fighting. There is still death. It also can mean that we are one step closer to the end, and also, that step is bringing closure and "justice" to many other people who lost their lives or lost loved ones in the attack.

Many other people are celebrating. They are adding an element of joy and celebration to this death that bothers me. People are glorifying this death, and treating it as a war trophy, which it is not. It is not a trophy for a person to pull a trigger and willingly kill another, no matter which side of the fight they are on. It may be considered a necessary action, which I do not deny, however that person may have emotional stressors about this for the rest of their life. Not to mention all of the troops who have been emotionally and physically scarred through the last ten years of fighting. This death is not one to be celebrated. It was necessary and it is done. It is time to acknowledge the significance and move on to healing our loved ones and continue to protect ourselves, while moving on to the next defense strategy.

With mixed emotions, I wish blessings on all those affected by war...that would be every person living and dead. Bright blessings on a hope for a peaceful future, may our actions have the results we are working so strongly and courageously for, with few ill effects.

Ava

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this quote many times related to this topic and I feel it exemplifies my emotions in this situation.

    ‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr

    ReplyDelete