Sunday, May 29, 2011

Altruism Journal: Babysitting For Free

The other day I watched a very hyper, energetic little boy for a high school classmate of mine that I haven't seen in over a decade. She had a need, I had the means to meet that need...why wouldn't I watch him for her. Sure he needs a lot of attention, but what little three year old doesn't :) I was appalled when I heard he had been kicked out of his preschool a few weeks ago due to getting too many "write ups" or whatever term they use, and this baffled me. He's three, I understand the need to protect other children, but this kid is three and pretty dang well behaved from what I discovered while watching him. I have lost my faith in many of the organized day care's around here, having had a poor experience myself, I now advocate for in home nannies. We had a wonderful service that 99% of the time had a wonderful nanny come to our home to give our girls one on one attention, and this attention is showing through their abilities, manners and so many more developmental ways (the bad nanny experience was that the specific nanny didn't show up at all for a very poor reason, and was immediately terminated from the service due to this incident). I have shared this information with this old classmate, and I know it's pricey, but I hope she is able to take advantage of it. If not, I hope that she is able to find a suitable day care that is willing to provide the attention her little one needs. Again I emphasize, I don't know what happened at this day care, but I am amazed that such a great kid could be kicked out. I'm willing to watch him again if she needs it, it sounds like he had fun while he was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment